MAT 131 Elementary Statistics and Probability, Section 21, CRN 30374, Summer 2008
Class meets MWF in NSM C221.
Office: NSM A-123; Office phone number: (310) 243- 3139
Office hours: MWF: , , or by appointment.
Course Description: A practical course in probability and
statistics including such topics as the bino
Text: The Basic Practice of Statistics, by David S. Moore. W.H. Freeman and Company, 2007.
Objectives: After completing MAT 131 the student will be able to
Prerequisites: Students must have satisfied the ELM requirement before enrolling in MAT 131.
Grades: Grades will be based on four in‑class 60-minutes examinations (60% total), a comprehensive final examination (25%), and quizzes, homework, attendance and other assignments (15%) for the remainder.
The exact grading system for your section is the following:
Each of the four 60-minutes exams will be graded on a 100 scale, then the sum of the best three scores is divided by 5 and denoted by E.
Homework will be due every class meeting, and each homework assignment is worth 5 points. No late homework will be accepted. The average of all homework scores is denoted by H.
5 to 10 minutes quizzes will be given in principle every day, with the exception of the review and exam days, and will be graded in class on a scale from 1 to 5. The average of the quizzes scores is denoted by Q.
There are also 5 points awarded for attendance and class participation. This portion of the grade is denoted by A.
The final exam will be graded out of a maximum possible 200, then the score is divided by 8 and denoted by F.
To determine your final grade, compute E+H+Q+A+F. The maximum is 100, and the grade will be given by the rule:
A: 93‑100; A‑: 90‑92; B+: 87‑89; B: 83‑86; B‑: 80‑82
C+: 77‑79; C: 73‑76; C‑: 70‑72; D: 60‑69; F: Less than 60.
Makeup: No makeup examinations or quizzes will be given. If you must miss an examination for a legitimate reason, discuss this, in advance, with me, and I may then substitute the relevant score from your final examination for the missing grade.
Accommodations for Students with Disabilities: Cal State Dominguez Hills adheres to all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable accommodations for students with temporary and permanent disabilities. If you have a disability that may adversely affect your work in this class, I encourage you to register with Disabled Student Services (DSS) and to talk with me about how I can best help you. All disclosures of disabilities will be kept strictly confidential. Please note: no accommodation may be made until you register with the DSS in WH B250. For information call (310) 243-3660 or to use telecommunications Device for the Deaf, call (310) 243-2028.
Academic Integrity: The mathematics department does not tolerate cheating. Students who have questions or concerns about academic integrity should ask their professors or the counselors in the Student Development Office, or refer to the University Catalog for more information. (Look in the index under "academic integrity".)
Technology: A TI-83 or TI-84 is recommended, but not required for this course.
Tentative schedule and homework assignments
1. M 7/14: Chapter 1: Apply your knowledge 1.1-1.11 odd, Check your skills 1.13-1.22 all, Exercises 1.23-1.31 odd, 1.37
2. W 7/16: Chapter 2: Apply your knowledge 2.1-2.5 odd, 2.9, Check your skills 2.13-2.22 all, Exercises 2.23, 2.25, 2.29, 2.35, 2.43
3. F 7/18: Chapter 3: Apply your knowledge 3.1-3.13 odd, Check your skills 3.15-3.24 all, Exercises 3.27-3.45 odd
4. M 7/21: Review and Exam 1
5. W 7/23: Chapter 4: Apply your knowledge 4.1-4.11 odd, Check your skills 4.12-4.21 all, Exercises 4.25-4.35 odd
6. F 7/25: Chapter 5: Apply your knowledge 5.1-5.13 odd, Check your skills 5.14-5.23 all, Exercises 5.25-5.29 odd, 5.33, 5.35, 5.41, 5.47
7. M 7/28: Chapter 8: Apply your knowledge 8.1-8.13 odd, Check your skills 8.17-8.26 all, Exercises 8.27-8.41 odd, 8.45, 8.47
8. W 7/30: Review and Exam 2
9. F 8/1: Chapter 9: Apply your knowledge 9.1-9.15 odd, Check your skills 9.16-9.24 all, Exercises 9.25-9.37 odd, 9.43
10. M 8/4: Chapter 10: Apply your knowledge 10.1-10.17 odd, Check your skills 10.19-10.28 all, Exercises 10.29-10.51 odd
11. W 8/6: Chapter 11: Apply your knowledge 11.1-11.13 odd, Check your skills 11.17-11.24 all, Exercises 11.25, 11.27, 11.33, 11.37, 11.41
12. F 8/8: Review and Exam 3
13. M 8/11: Chapter 14: Apply your knowledge 14.1-14.9 odd, Check your skills 14.11-14.20 all, Exercises 14.21, 14.25, 14.29, 14.31, 14.37
14: W 8/13: Chapter 15: Apply your knowledge 15.1-15.25 odd, Check your skills 15.26-15.35 all, Exercises 15.37, 15.45, 15.47, 15.51
15. F 8/15: Chapter 18: Apply your knowledge 18.1-18.13 odd, Check your skills 18.15-18.24 all, Exercises 18.23-18.31 odd, 18.27, 18.29, 18.31, 18.35, 18.41
16. M 8/18: Review and Exam 4
17. W 8/20: Review for Final Exam
18. F 8/22: Final Exam